Lesley Robinson, CEO of British Marine, has been recognised in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2021.
Announced in the official newspaper of the Crown, The Gazette, Lesley has been appointed to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) for her services to the Leisure Marine Sector.
Commenting on the honour, Lesley said: “I am beyond humbled and proud to receive the OBE. I share this honour with the whole team at British Marine, including our staff, Board, Council and Committee members, and want to thank them for all their hard work and contribution to this achievement. This is an award for all of us and is recognition for the leisure marine industry. It shows what great strides British Marine is making for its members and for our industry.”
Lesley has been in the leisure marine industry for over five years, and at the helm of British Marine for the last three years, making a considerable impact with notable achievements in this short time. These include the creation of a National Agenda to deliver what members have asked for, shaping the work of British Marine, as well as a new membership structure to deliver greater support and value for members. The delivery of improvements at the Southampton International Boat Show in 2019 which saw over 103,000 visitors and the introduction of the Sustainability Pledge to address the environmental impact of the event is another notable success. More recently, Lesley has led British Marine in guiding, supporting, and uniting the industry through the recent challenges of Brexit and COVID-19, achieving considerable lobbying and representation successes, finding funding opportunities for members and a myriad of other actions that have brought member benefits.
Lesley is a Trustee of the Ocean Youth Trust South, a charity which uses adventure under sail as a personal development opportunity for young people aged 12-25. Her voluntary work also extends outside of the marine industry with the role of Vice Chair for the Cherie Blair Foundation for Women who help release the potential of women entrepreneurs in low and middle income countries and close the global gender gap in entrepreneurship. She is also a Non-Executive Director of P CPI, a police backed organisation which helps reduce both physical and cyber crime across the UK.
Paul Gullett, British Marine’s President Elect and present Board member said: “Lesley’s commitment to the Leisure Marine Sector and to British Marine is truly inspiring, there is no one more deserving of this OBE. Typically modest, Lesley has wished to share the honour with all at British Marine for which we say thank you in the knowledge that it is her leadership, experience and very capable business management that drives those who work for and with her. We all are so pleased to hear of her recognition.”
British Marine is delighted to see other maritime professionals recounted in this year’s Queen’s Birthday Honours, including:
- Jeremy Nigel DALE, Founder, SeaSafe. For services to Maritime Safety. Jeremy is the Chair of the British Marine Isle of Wight Association.
- Simon SCAMMELL, Head Sailmaker, Suffolk Sails. For services to Front-Line Health Workers throughout the Covid-19 Pandemic.
- Matthew READ, Head Sailmaker, Suffolk Sails. For services to Front-Line Health Workers throughout the Covid-19 Pandemic.
- Neil GLENDINNING, Chief Executive Officer, Harwich Haven Authority. For services to the Transport of Freight particularly during the Covid-19 Response.
- Captain Georgina Elizabeth CARLO-PAAT, Ilfracombe Harbour Master. For services to the promoting the role of Women at Sea.
- Monica SHARP, Royal National Lifeboat Institute, Central London Committee Member, Fundraising Branch. For services to the Royal National Lifeboat Institute.
- Andrew Peter MORGAN, Visits Officer and Water Safety Volunteer at Royal National Lifeboat Institute, Shoreham Lifeboat Station. For services to the Royal National Lifeboat Institute.
- Gareth Alwyn HORNER, Lifeboat Operations Manager, Newquay Lifeboat Station. For services to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
See the full list here.